The Chase Scene

Boy there's nothing like a vacation to make you forget you've got a blog.

I've been struggling with a chase scene lately. I don't think there's anything inherently difficult about a chase scene in writing, but the difficulty lies in a highly action-oriented sequence, which must be kept interesting. The only other chase scene I've done involved a lot of past plot elements, but I don't have so much of that this time. He's being chased by new characters he's never seen before, in an environment he's never been in before. So that's leaves out some elements. I can't make it like Indiana Jones or French Connection

The hard part's been having it coalesce in my mind. I can see how it begins and how it ends, but in the middle seems forced and plodding. I just can't see the places he runs to, and I can't see how he would get out of the situation, so I've had to 'force' what's happening. I have a cohesive sequence now though. I don't think it's very interesting, but maybe something will come to me in revisions.

What I really want is just to have him transition from one place to another, but I need some motivation for that. And he can't just take the J Bus to 10th street.

Labels: , ,