Next Section, Please

Yay, I finished my chase scene. I still think it's too light, too quick, not up to my standards of what the story should be, but half the battle is getting shit on the page. That's why we revise.

Now that I'm done with that large chunk of sequence in my book, let's look at the word count so far.

4,802 + 2,110 + 3,520 + 4,375 + 4,479 + 3,303 + 3,169 + 5,755 + 4,094 + 3,494 = 43,903

Ten chapters, 44,000 words written so far, and average of 4,390 words per "scene" or "chapter". This is pretty good, cause in Blood 2, my average per scene was 2,000. And way long ago, five years, average it was around 1,000. Just too short to be good writing. If the second storyline is the same length, I'm at 87,806, and there's my novel right there. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near that point yet. This may be another 150,000. That's definitely my maximum for a first draft. To do that, I can't write anymore than 31,000 words for the next part. About 75% of where I'm at now. Let's see how that goes.

Now these chapters are going to be interspersed by the other guys storyline at times. The problem is, I don't know what's a good cut-off mark for words. Is 4,000 enough, or should I keep it in larger chunks, so that you think it was written by a guy with ADD. I don't want reviewers to say "Just when I was getting into Mr. X, you switch", or the other way "Mr. Y's scene here went on too long. Where's Mr. X?" Tough call. I hope I get some good beta readers for this piece.

And now, onward to the Pharmacist.

Labels: ,