Review: The Hitchhiker's Books

I finished the last of the five Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books this weekend. Final verdict: Much like Monty Python's Flying Circus. The first book is excellent. Then the entertainment steadily goes downhill. Mostly Harmless was the opposite to my psyche, and I wish So Long and Thanks for All the Fish had said and done just that. I'd highly recommend the first book, at least. And then, because I'm obsessive-compulsive, I have to finish the entire storyline. But every book is punctuated by weak endings, character vanishings, and overall nonsensicalness (which you'd expect in such a book, but at a certain point, it interferes when you've already got the world built, and now you need to have it all make sense). After that, I'd say the second is readable (Restaurant at the End of the Universe), but the third (Life, the Universe, and Everything) marks the beginning of the end. Only read about half of it, and the last bit at the end with God's message to his creation.

I got my first bookcase this weekend. Finally I can keep all my books in a singular collective place and realize how little I've really read. I'll post a picture of it pretty soon.

And for the first time in a while, I'm in transition in all three major places I read (at work, on computer, by the bed), so there is temporarily nothing on the "Currently Reading" list. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Labels: , ,