Revising Avatar is done

Revising Avatar is done, I think. After restructuring the first half (to move up the conflict), I pared it down 1500 words (to a total of 6500). I didn't think that was possible, but after restructuring, some stuff just didn't fit anymore. It was expositionary, and I miss it, but I think the story is better without it. I think most of the information is communicated already.

Now all it needs is a few days incubation, and then a coat of polish, and it's ready to send out into the world. I'll need to read up on how to format it as a proper manuscript, and then start keeping track of candidates to send it to. I think I'll start with the biggies to wet my feet (Asimov's, Strange Horizons, etc.), and hopefully not burn out anyone's eye sockets.

I'm still left wondering whether it's better to give people the first draft of the story to read, or the second draft. The problem with giving the second draft is that by that time, you've done a lot of work on it, and you don't want someone telling you that you totally have to restructure the story. On the other hand, the first draft doesn't include your own revisions, so you might end up with a bunch of edits that you were going to make anyway. Thus the time they spent was only half as fruitful. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd be all on board about giving a more polished version. Especially since it seems to be easier to read, as my wife can't seem to get past the page of where she's at now in Blood 2 without choking on bile.

This also means I can get back to writing Black Hole Son. And some time in the middle of that, I'll put the polish on Avatar. I thought I would start revising Blood 2, but my wife's not done with it, and I have no real desire to get back to that inoperable piece of trash any faster than I need to. I feel like it's a necessary part, but I also wonder who and why anyone would want to read it. Maybe I'm better off putting hopes on Black Hole Son.

Labels: , ,