Another book stopped

I stopped reading another book today - Ventus by Karl Schroeder. I got through 21% of it before I realized I was coming into work, dreading having to read it. It's just all politics, and no action. The characters are blah. Some of the underlying concepts are interesting, like the fantasy vs. future nano and mechal, but all the characters do is talk about it, they never actually interact with it. It would be like I, Robot, where Will Smith talks to the principal from Boston Public about the robots, but they never jump on his van and attack him. It's like Snow White laid on top of Snow Crash. Also goes to show that you get what you pay for. Most of the time (read Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath. It's free and you won't regret it.)

Goes to show being an award-winning author is meaningless is people can't make it through your book. This also means I'll probably never make it to being an editor.

Labels: