Black Hole Son Plotted

Well, a big milestone in Black Hole Son. I've got Character B's scenes mapped out from start to finish, meaning I know how much longer it'll be before I'm done with the main draft, in terms of what I've got left to write. I've also got a vague placement of the scenes, and in what order they'll go. It's rough, it's not perfect, and I'm having a devil of a time placing somethings so the pacing's right. The problem is one character's day may be longer than another character's.

But that's not something I should worry about now. I need to get words on paper, not plan the whole thing. I shouldn't do that till after, even if I've got the road map. Just in case things change.

In other news, I want to clarify what I said about Dumbledore and Rowling in a previous entry. I've noticed that there's a war going on between columnists looking for material (who say Rowling is wrong, because there's no evidence in the stories, and it's a distraction) versus writers (who say that Rowling is right, Dumbledore is gay if she says he is because it doesn't contradict something in the story, and writers always know more about the characters than what's on the page).

My beef with it is this: why tell us now? Why are you adding stuff from the books after you wrote them? Are we going to have to hang to your every word to figure out what's what and who's who? If it wasn't relevant in the books, you shouldn't be telling us out loud. That negates the reader's experience. This is the same thing that leads to Rinoa is Ultimecia debates.

Labels: ,