Giving Up on Kaijus

I gave up on Kaiju Story, at least for now. I just can't figure out where it goes or what the ending is. I think I started off too limited. If I continue it, I'm going to have to start fresh.

I'm really disappointed in myself, that I couldn't finish it. Real writers can write anything, especially something they're inspired for. I just can't think of a way to end it. I've come up with telepathic monsters that can only be understood when in a drunk rage, eyes in the floor, kaiju-worshipping cults, daycare centers, and so on. But none of it turned from concept to story. And there were too many concepts that none of them gelled together. And I didn't feel like it could be explained in under 5,000 words. But that's two stories that won't be able to be sent out to publishers.

Not that there's not hope. There is one thing I could do, I could turn it into an e-mail thread. I didn't want to do that before, because that's not a real story, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And I was thinking about turning Fairy Story into a flash fiction, something that's mostly concept instead of story.

But the fact remains that these feel like torture to write. I hate writing short stories. Love reading them, but writing them seems harder than a novel, because you don't have that much space to work with. I guess I try to write epics too much. Stories that are as large as life. The longer story, the back story, the motivations, the character, is more interesting to me. I love the epic - the only problem with them is, as a reader, investing the time, and, as a writer, risking your energy on a long piece.

I think I need a breather from writing short stories. I feel like I just can't concentrate on them at work to make them... work. Fortunately, Monday, I can start bringing my laptop in again and writing during the lunch hour, and I can go back to Black Hole Son.

Labels: , , ,