Back on the Train

Now more than ever, it's important to get Black Hole Son under 120,000 words, thanks to this tidbit from Rachelle Gardner. Myths and facts of publishing, indeed.

I still can't get a straight answer to whether it's all right if my novel is over 120,000 words. But my own instincts are telling me to trim that mother down, and an agent who's signed 21/26 debut novelists must know a thing or two about premiere writers.

Fortunately, I'd say it's looking good to achieve this goal. I'm on page 30 / 268 of Black Hole Son and I've killed 5,000 or so words so far, and there's more to come. I should be able to make it.

In another news, I think I got about 30 or so critiques for Kaiju Story. Jesus Christ, what is going on? I never got this many critiques for anything I've written. Is it that good? Is it that bad? Is it the subject matter? Do so many interested people = commercial interest? And so many critiques, I think it's going to be that much harder to weed through and determine what the people want to see.

Labels: ,