Avatar's Contract

Dunesteef has now sent me a contract for Avatar. Instead of something to print and sign and all that, they are sending me an email with some contract verbiage, and I'm to respond in the affirmative. This raised some red flags to me, but it's not a large market, so it's doubtful they'd try to rook me. I don't want to get into a Todd MacFarlane lawsuit. But it's for audio rights only, so I'm not going to worry too much about it. But let the record show that if history proves me wrong, this was the moment I was an idiot.

However, they also brought up a point that there's a movie coming out in a few months, probably around the time my story will be coming out. I think it's called "Avatar: The Last Airbender"? Yeah, it's kind of a big deal, I hear. That one guy - James What's-His-Face - is directing. He made that one with the killer robot, and the one where the ship sinks. I guess they were a big deal too.

So that means I should (read: have to) change my story's name. Any other story and it wouldn't be hard, but "Avatar" has always been "Avatar". Nearly, all my other stories didn't get a title until I submitted it to Critters. And most of the time, I ask the populace to suggest a different title. White Mage Story didn't have one until the very end, because I had to have one. I just came up with "Defender", but that's lame to me, and it doesn't illustrate what the story's about.

My story's aren't so serious that they need a serious title, and they're not so complex and hi-falutin' that they need an intriguing, ambiguous title like "Even a Monkey Will Wash Its Black Hands". The story's title should encompass what its about - its theme. Avatar doesn't really have a theme. It's a bunch of characters doing silly things in video game world. Of course, I can't call it "Silly Video Game World".

Labels: , , ,