Navigation Bar

HOME  |   ABOUT ME  |   MERM-8  |   DISNEY VILLAINS  |   VIDEO GAME MEMORIES  |   OTHER WORKS

Quote Generator



Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Rapture Radio is Now Off the Air

So I heard on Joystiq there was this thing called Rapture Radio--a broadcast coming from Rapture (the city under the sea in Bioshock) that plays the music you hear throughout the game (lots of '30s and '40s hits from Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, and other big bands). I guess it was the precursor to New Year's Even 1959. And at 12 noon (12 midnight in Rapture), all hell broke loose, just like in the story.

The problem is now, I tune to it and everything's already blown up. I was all excited to listen to this, because I think just a radio station with this music alone would be awesome (there probably is one, I just haven't looked). But now it's just static, with a repeated message that things have exploded, please return to your homes. I wish it would go back to the music. I would love to listen to something that feels like it's coming from Rapture, feels like it's a real world.

Plus, I think this is awesome marketing. There should be more marketing like this, not just billboards and commercials. I love desktop wallpaper (I've got a wallpaper of District 9 on my work computer right now) and music and blogs and trailers and ARG games. Stuff like this lets me immerse in the work, make it personal. Stuff that can integrate into the world, not just act like a pop-up ad into it.
Post a Comment