Wanna Hear Something Funny?

So Jim C. Hines created this Mad Libs Review to take away the stress of writing a good review. He made a passing mention about if he were a programmer, he could set it up to do it automatically. Well, gee whiz, I'm a programmer, and making something like that's simple to me. So I whipped up an HTML page that uses javascript to fill in the blanks. It even converts "a" to "an" if the word starts with a vowel.

Of course, the contact information form on his website strips the tags out, so it's rendered useless. So he emails me to thank me, but now I'm able to send him the actual HTML file. He thanks me again, and now that he can use it, he'd like to give me credit on the blog, and maybe link to something. Well, hot damn, that'd be great. I'd get a lot of traffic...

...except that the first thing on my page is that big old rant about the rape discussion fiasco.

Well, it's not anymore, once I post this. But if I give him the blog address, and I get an influx of Hines fans coming in, fresh off the comments forum that had to be closed... well, you do the math. My inbox would be so filled up with hate mail and rants that I don't think I could take it. I believe in my positions and values, but I don't want to have to continually defend them, especially when that's not what I'm about. I know what I know and I believe what I believe.

No, I don't think Mr. Hines knows that I'm "theWallflower00". But a little Internet sleuthing would take care of that. But until he does, I can bask in the irony that a guy who just gave him a nice gift is also the guy who was accused of trolling the forums. And I just shot myself in the foot for getting a little traffic.

EDIT: Mr. Hines did find me (kudos), but was graceful enough not to say anything. But he did not accuse me of trolling, as I may have implied. Another commenter did that (note I said "who was accused of trolling". Passive voice equals no subject equals hedging equals no one knows what you're talking about equals why your English teacher keeps saying not to use it).

Labels: