A Little Interview

Here's a little self-interview I gleaned from Stir Your Tea's interview with the guy from Pimp My Novel, with some editations for content and meaning.

Tell us about why you started blogging?

Around February 2007, I started getting bored with writing in my diary. It was rant after rant, griping and whining, and I was just getting sick of it. There were month long gaps in-between entries because it burned too many calories to crack open the diary unless I had a lot to say. But mainly, the whole purpose behind writing a diary was because I was afraid of dying, and that if I died no one would remember me. I would cease to exist.

Enter 2007. I'm married, and as of April, expecting my first kid. Now I've got people who will remember me and carry me in their hearts after I'm dead. Which makes the diary a bit moot. Therefore, the entries started lagging behind.

But I'm a writer. And writers need to write. So, I start a blog which mainly has the purpose of keeping me honest as an author. Writers need to write a little every day, and this gives me a reason to do it. Plus, there were a lot of blogs out there by already established writers, and none that show the journey starting from scratch.

What seven words describe what you do on a daily basis?

Compute, imaginate, criticize, entertain, decide, maintain, forget

What do you think about when you go to sleep at night?

Damn, I should have done more writing today. That novel's not going to write itself.

What's the one book you've read recently that blew your mind?

I'm about 66% through The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and it's quite eye-opening. It's probably been the best thing I've read all year. Plus I've read lots of crappy fem-lit and YA lately, so this is a nice change.

What would you do if you were challenged to a dance-off?

It depends on how big the guy I was facing was. But I can hold my own with the best of them. I know martial arts, so I'd incorporate some of those moves to a grinding techno beat that inflames the senses. Maybe I can get off a lucky kick and knoch him out. Of course, if it's a girl, amendments to the plan would have to be made (no crotch-shots).

Mac or PC?

PC. I like a computer that gives me control over what I can do, instead of doing it for me.

If you could predict any one thing about e-books, what would it be?

They will not replace paper books. Not in my lifetime. E-readers would need to be much cheaper, more universal, and more like the PADDs in Star Trek.

What I'm more afraid of is all the weird technical things they can do, like moving illustrations in "Alice in Wonderland", and little balls that fall down as you tilt the iPad. The book's going to become a video game. For one, these things distract from the finished product--people are going to stop reading so they can play Centipede with the text. And then it's not going to be enough that you're an author, editor, self-promoter, marketer, cover artist, publisher, but you've also got to be a computer programmer?

When you were in elementary school, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A lawyer, believe it or not. I used to watch "The People's Court" avidly because I thought it was research for when I became a lawyer. When I was in fourth grade, one of the projects was to draw and illustrate a timeline of our future occupations. I remember one panel was "2033: Lose my first case" and the picture is someone in the electric chair with me looking down with a sad face.

How do you take your coffee?

Black. No cream, no milk, no sugar. I like the bitterness of it. Better than tea. Take that Europe.

When do you know it's time to do laundry?

I just guess.

If you had to choose between writing a book, reading a book, or editing a book, which would it be?

The problem with this question is that each is fun for different reasons, but only for so long. Assuming the book I'm editing is my own book (every other book I've edited has been worse than an icepick lobotomy with a pencil): I'd probably pick reading a book, because it's easier. I have dedicated times for writing/editing, so that always gets done. Whether I can read isn't always a guarantee. I like the writing of a book just fine, but you spend 8x more time in that universe than in any book, and I have a short attention span.

What are two things you think every writer should know?

Cut everything you can. Writing is telepathy.

Have you ever broken any bones? if yes, where? if no, why not?

No. I don't do anything physically active enough, and I'm a careful person. I can't imagine what it would feel like to break a bone. I imagine it's an experience I can live without.

Anne of Green Gables asks: "Which would you rather be: Divinely beautiful, dazzlingly clever, or angelically good?"

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being witty, and that is not being witty." So I'd take dazzingly clever. Also, who is Anne of Green Gables? Was she hot?

What's another word for "synonym"?

"Word"?

What's your favorite time of the day? why?

Probably 8:00 PM. At that time, the kids have gone to bed, and it's about the only time I have to do anything of freedom before it's 9:00 and bedtime. I got to sleep at 10 - 10:30 and get up at 6:20. Never enough sleep in my opinion.

What's the first thing you do in the morning?

Pee.

Who is your favorite fictional hero?

Jeez, make this a hard question, why don't you? I mean, heroes are all we have in life. We count on them, whether they're our dads or moms, or martial arts teachers, or a piece comic book art, or magical wizard.

Sorry, I guess I'm ducking the question. My favorite fictional hero is Roland Deschain from the Gunslinger books by Stephen King. He's about the coolest guy I can think of in fiction. He never shirks back from his task, he knows exactly what to do at all times, he's noble, he's charismatic, he can tell if you're going to shoot straight just by the way you hold your gun. And he never stops on his quest, no matter what.

What color are your socks?

Black on working days. White on days off.

What is something you'd never say on the internet?

If I said it, it would be on the Internet, wouldn't it?

Parting words? Encouragement for our writer-friends? Anything you care to add?

Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals. I'm living proof.

Labels: ,