At least, I think it's done. It feels done. All the tasks I had to do, that I could do, are done. I managed to bloat it up to 85,000 words. Not bad, all things considered. I'm hoping I'll be able to get it up to 90,000 with all the gaps I don't know about that I'll learn from feedback. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing to want (I should be a cutter-outter, not a putter-inner), but every novel's its own beast.
Next up, revise the three short stories I wrote when I was letting Mermaid Story incubate. Then I can put them up on Critters, get feedback, and get it ready for submissions. Then Mermaid Story Draft 2 (dun-dun-dunnnnn). That's where the real writing test occurs.
I find myself realizing, as I write mermaid story, that this is not quite the story I wanted to write. I wanted to write something more romantic, but I seem to have lost that thread. I'm not sure if I ever even sewed it in. I'll be the first to admit, I have no experience writing romance. All the women in my stories are usually the reason for the hero's downfall (because of the hero's love for her, not because of anything she does). I guess whether or not I change it depends on reader feedback.
Labels: Mermaid Story