Good Writers Don't Use the Internet


I would apologize for not writing much on the blog lately, but I don't want to be one of those bloggers who acts as if they care, as if they have a large audience hanging on their every word, who goes on an extended absence, says they're sorry, and then continue their extended absence. There are plenty of more interesting sites out there, and you should be using an RSS aggregator, like Google Reader, to tell when there's an update anyway. It's better than visiting it once a day, then being disappointed that you see the same post you saw the day before, and the day before, and the day before.

The truth is that work's been busy, I'm working on meta-projects, such as pre-writing, a personal cookbook, and all the other miscellaneous things that come up. I'm still working on Mermaid Story, in the middle of the 3rd revision. But other than that, not really doing any writing. Part of that is being distracted by the Internet.

Yes, yes, I know. Nothing kills a writing boner faster than that dang Internet. I've picked up some bookmarks that are terribly time-consuming, like The Daily What and all the videos on TGWTG.com, especially Brad Jones, Paw, and The Spoony One. Hell, I'm watching one right now.

It's not that these are taking up all my time, it's that these are more interesting than the drudgery of composing, generating ideas, and proof-reading. I'd rather watch videos of critics revisiting all my favorite past loves, like TMNT, crappy Nintendo games, horror movies, and realizing how much crap they shoved at kids. (And the more things change, the more they stay the same. I'm looking at you, Dora).

But as much as I try to hide behind nostalgic love and a "teaching moment" to learn where these pieces went wrong, the fact is I'm not producing work. Not written work, at least. Not that work that more than a handful of people are going to see. So I've got to make sure I allot more time for reading and writing, and less for watching the Top 10 Greatest Tales from the Crypt Episodes.


Labels: , , ,