Things I Like: Hannah Hart & My Drunk Kitchen

YouTube is overloaded with TV shows, webcam series, and just about everything. I can't remember where I heard of it, but one of my favorites, even though it doesn't update very often, is My Drunk Kitchen hosted by Hannah Hart.

What is My Drunk Kitchen? Pretty much what you think it is. A cooking show with copious amounts of alcohols, usually wine or mimosas. What makes it fun is the host, whose patience for baking extends slightly longer than a mosquito's nose. She makes grilled cheese but forgets the cheese, puts cookies in a muffin pan, and calls tacos "a most versatile fruit".

Besides Hart's fairy-like charm as she flits from stove to fridge to bottle, she's a master editor. Some vloggers simply cut out pauses and it makes the narrative frantic and jumpy. Hannah does it the right way, keeping things entertaining, but also chronological. It's amazing how much humor you can get simply from cutting to certain shots. And it's not just her shows. Her twitter, her tumbler, her other videos, all contain hilarity, and it's clear she's just a fun girl to be around.

I remember one time I had nearly a whole bottle of cake-flavored vodka. (BTW, this isn't, like, in college or anything. This is last month. That stuff is evil, it tastes like Schnapps.) I had two choices -- go to bed, which I usually do, and then wake up with a hangover and stay in bed for half the day, trying to avoid the kids. Or stay up later and let my body metabolize the alcohol. I chose the latter -- better to be sleepy than in pain.

And what do you want to do when you're drunk? Hang out with other drunk people? So I watched all the "My Drunk Kitchen" videos and laughed my ass off while Hannah did her thing, dropping pans, making fun of weird sounds, checking out her eyeball, and drinking a shitload of wine, while I tried to sober up eating a metric ton of Cheerios. Actually, I had a measured amount, but then I spilled a bunch. So I was like, fuck it, and just kept eating and went to bed when I ran out, which was 1 in the morning.

So that's how that works. For a sampling, look no further. Here's one of my favorite episodes.




Labels: , , ,