Navigation Bar

HOME  |   ABOUT ME  |   MERM-8  |   DISNEY VILLAINS  |   VIDEO GAME MEMORIES  |   OTHER WORKS

Quote Generator



Friday, November 18, 2011

New Zombie Short Story and Big Pulp

Well, with Merm-8's 3rd revision done, and no touchies until December, I'm now back on the short story kick. Which is nice for a change. I do have that trunk novel I'm working on, but short stories will give me more resume-building material in the short run. I finished revising Defender based on the critique I got from "On the Premises" and sent it out to a fledgling market that deals with e-books. Sounds like I have what they're looking for, but their pay rates are based on percentages of gross. Should be interesting to see if that pans out.

My new short story is another zombie story (this makes number three for me), based around an idea in Left 4 Dead. That idea is the safe houses. Gameplay-wise, they demarcate the end of a level, give the players a chance to breathe, and act as a checkpoint.

Story-wise, they're fascinating places. Graffiti covers their walls, like an Internet message board, leaving messages of doom, humor, and information. There are supplies littered around -- coffee cans full of bullets, sleeping bags, old food stuffs. You can tell that people have been here, spent a lot of time here. But only temporarily. Something motivated them out.

Those are the most fascinating places in the game to me. There's a story there -- who built them? Who keeps them supplied? What kinds of people are writing those messages? Where do those red doors come from? Obviously, I can't write it as fan fiction, if I intend to sell it. But this is why I love video games, cause I get such great ideas from them.


In other news, Big Pulp Winter 2011 issue will have my story "Influx Capacitor" in it, which is awesome. Already added it to the side bar. Preorder now!
Post a Comment