Update


I got a new job, so working the transition means I have to concentrate on being a good "employee" at the current time. Switching jobs always sucks. You have nothing to do at your old one and nothing to do at your new one. But at least at your old one, you had all your stuff. I am now programming on a laptop, and while it's beefy enough, I don't have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or phone yet. So my back is getting sore from all the leaning over.

It also means I have to find a new place to write. My old place had a nice couchy lounge area in the corner that no one ever went in. My new place is in a six floor corporate building, and I feel weird going into a conference room. The lobby downstairs is okay, but they have no real wifi (seriously? in this day and age?). Unfortunately, I'm now at the point where I need wifi for writing, because I rely on Thesaurus.com. But there might be a way to do a site dump...

Speaking of writing, the only writing I'm doing is composing the outline for my next novel. The biggest problem with outlines is that this is where you can easily screw up everything with a butterfly flap. It's in a pretty jello state, yes, but once you write down an idea, it's hard to unwrite it, especially in your mind. You have to concentrate on making every plot point interesting, cohesive, necessary, and flowing from one event to the other. Plus you've got to make sure it's commercially sound.

In the meantime, I'm doing a lot of reading. The great thing about an eReader is that it does enable you to read more books. Before, I had to go to the library, and was only able to get one book, because that was all the time I had to read it. Now I can load up quite a few on my Nook, with no delay in between. Plus it's easier and less conspicuous to take around than a normal paper book. And as an added bonus, I can watch movies on it. It's almost like a tablet, except no apps.

I also just got a new computer: nice big screen, extra memory and disk space.  Now I should be able to play Portal 2 in style.  The problem is reloading all the software.  Instead of buying from a brand, I used AVADirect to build it.  I was able to get better stuff for the price, and hopefully it'll last a nice long time.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Labels: , ,