It's So Hard to Avoid Spoilers


I usually wait until the entire season of Game of Thrones to be completed before I watch it.  That way I can watch it all at once, and not forget anything that came before.  Also, it's less risk, if you know what I mean.  The eyes are always watching.


But this time, I just can't avoid it.  Either my presence on the Internet touches too many fingers this year, or people have just stopped caring.  The day after the episode airs, they're posting funny pictures, quotes, and tweets.  I can't go on Twitter, Reddit, or Imgur, lest I accidentally see something Game of Thrones related.  You can't unsee.  There are no tags or ways to block Game of Thrones things from your feed on any of those sites.


The Internet is bad at avoiding spoilers.  And everything happens at breakneck speed, so that if you're not watching it NOW, you miss the trend boat.  I have a folder in my bookmarks marked "FUTURE" for things with content that will probably spoil something I'm going to watch or do.  Attack on Titan, Sherlock, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Hobbit, and so on.  I'm sorry I'm behind on media.  I have two kids and a house to take care of.  I can't preload it into my brain as soon as it's airing.

The next big innovation on the Internet will be something that can tag content as spoiler-y, and maybe even provide a backdate of what it's a spoiler for.


Labels: ,