Musa Publishing Shuts Down


So Musa, where Merm-8 has been published, is shutting its doors.  They announced it via email to its authors today that, at the end of the month, all links will be pulled from buying sites and rights are reversed back to us.

So in six short months I go from achieving my dream of being a published author back to the beginning.  I won't have a book to show off and say "yes, I'm in the marketplace".  I can't point people to an Amazon page or promote on Twitter or anything.  I'll be back to where I started.

I don't blame Musa at all for this.  No anger.  They've been good and straightforward with me.  I've questioned some of their decisions and marketing choices, but nothing but love.  I thought they were doing fine, because they had hired/promoted a bunch of new people last year, so I thought the company was moving up.

The executives said that they hadn't been accepting any profits from the venture for four years.  They've put it all into promotion and company-building.  This is why I couldn't be an entrepreneur.  I can't imaging working so hard on something and seeing no reward from it.  Much less for four years. Imagine how the people around them must have been affected. You'd have to really love the industry you're in for that kind of commitment.  I hope they all find better lives out there.

But where does that leave me?  Well, I guess it's back to the query list.  No reason to let a good book go to waste.  I'll probably start going directly publishers again.  I think there was one site where I had some moderate success.  I might try them again if I find the e-mail.  After that?  Anybody's guess.

FYI: If you've been putting off a purchase, now is definitely the time.


Labels: ,