My name's Eric. I'm a writer magic and a software engineer. This blog is more about the writing aspect, although, really, I comment on whatever I want to. Lots of video game talk, movies, and being irritated at people who use the word 'irregardless'.
I have a wife and two young daughters, so I cannot have your babies. I have babies of my own that I can barely maintain.
I am 6'0", my sign is Taurus, and my blood type is O positive.
When and where were you born?
I was born in Minnesota in 1981, lived in the metro area until I went to college in Eau Claire, WI. Then moved back to the MN metro area.
That makes me currently 28 years old.
What was your first job after college?
I was an ad trafficker for TV news web sites. That means I scheduled and set the myriad of ads you see on the side bar and banner of the websites of WTNA and KMSP and so on. I did not create the flash banners or the pop-ups. That was a corporate decision.
What kind of video games do you play?
I used to be a Nintendo man up to the FFVII era. Then I was a Playstation man up to Kingdom Hearts II. Now I'm a PC man, though I have a Wii
Who is your favorite cartoon character?
Who are your writing influences?
Stephen King, Joss Whedon, Neil Gaiman, Peter David, John Scalzi
What computer do you use for writing?
An IBM ThinkPad T40 (before they became Lenovo) on XP
Why do you write?
On a lot of writer's blogs, you'll find common reasons for writing. Why do you tell stories, the header will say in bold and italics. I have something to say. I want to inform the stupid reader. I feel compelled to write--if I don't write, I'll go crazy. I want to spread my message--political, social, or otherwise. I was deigned by God. To stop my racing thoughts. To make money. Because I can't paint. I need validation that I am good enough. I want to be remembered. I'm getting back at all the people who snubbed me in my life. These are all valid reasons to tell stories, and many are peripheral to my central motivation.
I tell stories because I have no stories of my own.
It's true. I really live a dull life. I don't travel very often. I've only been out of the country twice. Once was to Cancun with my family. The other was on a Carribbean cruise. I haven't even been to Canada, and I live in Minnesota. I've never lived anywhere but the Minnesota metro area. My parents are still together and love me very much. I have one younger sister who is "interesting", but otherwise normal. I've only kissed one girl, had one girlfriend, had one sexual partner, and one wife (and if you can't tell, these are all the same person). I have two children who were born by C-section without incident. They are healthy and normal (you know, for a two-year-old and an infant). I have never been to the emergency room. I have never been to the hospital, except to visit. I have no tattoos. I have no pets. I've never smoked. I've never used any drugs. No one close to me has died. I have never been arrested. I've never been in a fight. I have never switched schools or majors. I finished college in four years, maintaining the same degree throughout (software engineering). I have never pretended to be something I'm not. I'm too stupid to. I've never even been stung by a bee.
So when I get to parties, I have no amusing anecdotes to tell. I end up listening to other people's. My life has no drama or adventure (not that I want it to--I don't do well with drama and adventure), but still there's that desire to experience a different kind of life. An escape, without the inherent dangers and risks. I have no stories to tell, so I make up my own.
Where can I find your writing?
You can find my published work in these locations:
- Playable Character - Electric Spec
- Playable Character (audio version) - Dunesteef
- Fairy Kingdom - Sorcerous Signals
- Influx Capacitor - Flash Me Magazine
- Thicker Than Water - Inwood Indiana
- Blood 2: The Unforgiven (Blood)
- Baby Blocks (Final Fantasy 8)
- ZerOthello (Mega Man X)
- The Sin of Saints (Blood)
- Strangers in the Night (Blood)
- Quake: Player Entered the Game (Quake)
- Gatecrash (Mega Man/Legend of Zelda)
- Deadwood (Blood)
- A Caleb Carol (Blood)
- Blood: I Live Again (Blood)
- Dance Club (Legend of Zelda:OOT)
What are your favorite books?
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- The Darkness and the Light by Peter David
- The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
- World War Z by Max Brooks
- Wren's Quest by Sherwood Smith
- The Dark Tower Saga by Stephen King
- Tigerheart by Peter David
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
- The Running Man by Stephen King
- Jumper by Steven Gould
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- Old Man's War by John Scalzi
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
- Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
- Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- Neuromancer by William Gibson
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Butcher Bird by Richard Kadrey
- Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
- Taco Bell
- Red-haired girls
- Video games
- Good books
- Public bathrooms
- Two and a Half Men
- Staying late at work
- Boring books
- Getting no sleep