My 500th Post


If you can tell by the modest graphic, this makes post 500. To be honest, I've really got nothing special to say, except to give a look back at the progress of the blog from its inception in 2/12/2007, before my first kid was even born.

I started it as a way to "keep honest" when writing my first novel (the first meant for mainstream publishing). And mostly, I wrote about being depressed about how poorly the writing was going. I never wrote about when the writing was going good. I'm not sure if it ever was. I complained about slumps, I complained about time, I complained about everything. It was too much like a LiveJournal, or my old diary, which I had just bounced from.

So it's no wonder I had nil visitors until September 2010, when I did my Ye Olde Renaissance Fair Write-Up. To be honest, I have no idea why this post is so popular, except for the boobs. My second most popular is Eric's Top Ten Fantasy Movies. The point is that when I started deviating from just posts about writing and personal stuff, people wanted to read. So I started writing more about whatever I wanted to. And adding images to posts probably helps.


After that my visits were steady until in February 2011, my visits DOUBLED because of my article on the Penny Arcade Dickwolves (also my most commented-on post), thanks to being noted on the "debacle" timeline. Now there's a consistent average of 1,000 pageviews per day.

There have been probably times when I wanted to quit the blog. True, it would be easier to play Gemcraft Labyrinth all day than to think about putting words on a page in the right order. But those were fleeting moments. I quite enjoy writing about things that interest me, complaining about things that are stupid, and informing the reader about the great shit out there.  So I'll see you at post 1,000.

And for no reason, here's some of my favorite posts.

Labels: , ,